Identifying, securing and protecting intellectual property rights -- such as copyrights -- is essential to the well-being of any company or individual involved in the commercial aspects of creative works. Copyrights are valuable assets that add to the health of balance sheets, provide a competitive edge and open new avenues for growth and revenue.
Lewis and Roca has worked with individuals, organizations and companies in the Southwest, throughout the country and throughout the world to develop and protect copyright rights here and abroad. Lewis and Roca offers clients a full range of intellectual property representation. Lewis and Roca's Intellectual Property and Technology Practice Group provides significant depth of experience in copyright law, including:
Copyright and Rights of Publicity
- Securing rights in, and clearing use of copyrightable and copyrighted works, including acquisition, federal application, registration, clearances, and licensing of copyrightable works.
- Licensing, registration and protection of copyrights both in the United States and internationally.
- Counseling in the development of fair use guidelines for use of third party works.
- Negotiating with ASCAP, BMI and other performing rights societies.
Counseling and representing clients in response to copyright compliance demands from Software Business Alliance (SBA), Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) and other copyright compliance organizations.
- Identifying and protecting rights of publicity and privacy, as well as clearing rights for use of same.
- Representing clients in the prosecution and defense of copyright infringement and copyright violation litigation claims in all of these areas, in state and federal court.