Lewis and Roca represents energy companies in regulatory and transactional matters, including power plant and transmission line siting, resource planning, renewable energy development, purchase power agreements, purchase and sale of energy providers, commercial contract negotiations and rate making. Our lawyers focusing in this area work closely with colleagues involved in the firm’s corporate, governmental relations, environmental and natural resources practices.
Lewis and Roca has represented industrial rate-payers before in rate cases brought by utility companies. In addition, Lewis and Roca has represented entities seeking Utility Environmental Protection Act permits.
Lewis and Roca represents companies developing and building alternative energy facilities including utility scale renewable generation plants. We also represent large industrial and commercial users in developing distributed generation facilities. Our work in this area has included due diligence associated with selecting facility locations, pursuing regulatory approvals at the Corporation Commission, appearing before State Siting Committees, various municipal governments and other state agencies. We have advised clients in negotiating contracts with third party lenders and securing water rights necessary for these facilities. We have also worked with these clients to insure the continuation of favorable tax and other state incentives for the development of alternative power.
While we primarily represent investor-owned utilities and merchant power providers, we have also represented large industrial customers and commercial developers in negotiating and drafting energy and infrastructure agreements, most recently involving commercial scale distributed generation facilities.
- Counsel to foreign power producers purchasing Arizona assets, including permit transfers and operational evaluations.
- Counsel to out of state power provider building and permitting new power plants and transmission lines in Nevada and Arizona.
- Counsel to developers of two of the largest solar utility scale facilities being developed in the United States.
- Counsel to a large industrial factory in negotiating a distributed generation development contract.
- Counsel to solar power company to acquire property and permit new solar power generation station.
- Counsel to two large wind energy developers.